Thursday, March 27, 2008

HYPNOTIQ!!

I found my sanctuary in Ghana....it is a small bar called hypnotiq (what???)- yeah that is right...a bar! This charming little hole in the wall place has an open mic night for poetry and spoken word every Wednesday- generally speaking, I have never immersed myself into poetry....never saw the beauty in it...never appreciated it....and I definitely never considered myself to be a "poet"- in fact, i vividly remember the feeling of dread that overwhelmed me in high school when I was "forced" to write poetry.

Anyway, the feeling i get when i am in this place is one of complete comfort, enjoyment, awe, and understanding. So much talent, wisdom, and insight is shared among all of these souls....and surprisingly, i find myself participating in the flow of spoken word and poetry with ease, comfort, and confidence. I have never felt closer to God (away from worldly madness and into a deeper me) than I have at Hynotiq...where wonder and understanding surround me simultaneously. Sadly, this feeling seems to leave me the second i step out the door...back into the madness of the world.

While I can't recreate the experiences..the poetry...i will try to post some insights that i am left with to ponder....

This is the concept of freedom (and yes i wrote it just now-it was an idea that came up and of course i can't eloquently replicate the beautiful words and conversation around it....but here is a brief summary). And this does not just apply to human souls...i feel like it applies to everything...

All souls are free
Let them go
And you will gain...
For free souls will return to freedom

All souls are free
Do not cling to them
Or you will lose....
For free souls will escape your grasp
and leave to find freedom

1 comment:

Shane said...

wow, i love that place... and miss it... i am glad to hear that you are exploring yourself over there, it is a great place to do it...