Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Traveling......to Ghana

Well everyone, miraculously, I made it to Ghana on time and with all of my luggage! Those of you who know my travel history, know that is truly a miracle.....my friend April , however, did not get both of her bags, so I still spent my first hour in Ghana waiting in the lost luggage line (how is it that one bag makes it and the other does not??). The travel here was so long...and I am still recovering from that...I tried not to sleep much on the plane but I couldn't
help it. There is a 7 hour time difference here...so it is time for me to go to bed , and all of you are probably about to eat lunch! Needless to say, I am suffering jet lag BIG TIME!!!! Other than that, my first day here has been amazing. We did some orientation stuff today....figured out what classes we can take, how to register, and we walked around this HUGE campus for like 4 hours...and still didn't see it all. We have a busy few days getting to know the place.....and we are going to the beach on Sunday. I have a feeling I may be there a lot this semester...it is SO HOT- especially compared to the frigid state of Montana.
Well I don't have a lot of time since the internet is so slow...but i want to share a few of my first impressions with you guys...

the smell of Ghana is indescribable and unforgettable! the best way I can describe the smell that penetrated my nose when I stepped off the plane is sweet and musty!

It is HOT and humid...we arrived around 10:30 pm and it was 85 degrees - my clothes were drenched...partly from my own sweat and partly from the humid air!

The drivers are crazy and Ghanaians are hilarious! Within seconds of getting on the bus, we were almost hit by several cars, and we were honked at the whole way back to the University...and all the while, our bus driver was laughing up a storm! It was so funny...don't worry- no danger. Just fun and games!

I am out of time, but I will continue to update you all...I am having a wonderful time so far, and i am so glad to be here. I miss you all and I hope everything is well. Talk to you soon!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Amanda, that is so awesome. The vision I got of your busy driver made me laugh. Enjoy the warm weather, it is about 30 or so here! I would consider selling my leg to go to a beach (well maybe not but I am def jealous). I love you and I know you are going to have an amazing time!

Unknown said...

Amanda! I'm so happy to hear you made it and are having such a great experience so far. Your stories mirror some of our own travel memories! You will have so much fun and learn so much! Let me know what classes you are taking when you get registered. I would also love to hear about the dorm situation. Stay alert!
Love you, Michelle

mom said...

The drivers and traffic are unbelievable! I'm glad you got there safely and are ready to start school soon. Do you share a dorm room with a roommate? Love you MOM